Saturday 8 May 2010

Not to be

Wasn't meant to be my night tonight. Did the 70 quid Golden Nugget freezeout. Was seated in seat 1 which I hate, at least I have every time but one - at the MGM Grand in the 11am tourny on our last day in Vegas where I had the hottest run of my life busting 4 players in the space of 10 hands with ridiculous cards and catches.
No such luck tonight - even sat next to my favourite dealer Gabe. Skinny blond, Hungarian chap, not my type but very sweet; I hadn't realised the first time he had dealt to me he was properly flirting. He has got it in his head I am really intelligent which clearly does something for him. Ok, I got 4 As at A level, but I have a good memory, not a really academic brain, and yes, I'm quick-witted, but I still haven't the heart to blow his illusion...
I was greeted with, "Where have you been, lovely? I missed you". Well dealing me 3-7 off, 4-8 off, 2-8 off is not the way to get me rushing back. I think I won 2 pots all night; pocket 8s (again, love 8s), which got rid of everyone with a chunky bet on the turn, and AK suited which scared everyone pre-flop (but with some antes for a bit more value) when I bet 2.5 times the big blind. Other than that my pocket Queens ran into Aces but I thankfully got away from them with a K on the flop and an A on the turn. When I elected to get aggressive, re-raising my pocket 6s on a pretty impotent board, I found myself up against an all in. Just as well I couldn't call, he had KK.
So, with a literally average stack and blinds uncomfortable if not painful, I found AQ in late position. In the pot, there were 10 antes, and, by the time it got to the big blind, 5 limpers (thought I'd be a bit clever/cautious, depending on the flop). BB (and swelled stack) decides to raise to 3k total, half my remaining stack. Could be a bit of a squeeze; it folded round to me, anyway. Yes, possibly A-something, possibly a small or decent pair. Either way, am figuring it's a coin toss or better to get seriously back into it as, if he calls and I win, it's 15k-plus coming my way. Hell, I've not seen many better hands all night.

So, after some consideration, I shove. The other 2 to my left fold. He asks for a count. The 6k total is at least a third but not half of his remaining stack, I think. He calls pretty quickly, but with a tinge of obligation. He shows 10-10. Am not too distraught about this and the customary 'good luck, ma'am' or 'let the lady be lucky' shouts of support go up, most of them really genuine, I think, the rest very polite and chivalrous.
The flop, while completing his set (greeted with pantomime-esque boos and hisses from my fellow players). at least awards me a straight draw. The turn gives me a flush draw. The river pairs the board and there is a gentle wave of disappointment the nice girl didn't take the villainous man's 'money'. I acknowledge the 'nice hand, sir' and gracefully shake his (limp) hand and retire. Gabe announces 'woman down' and I publicly appreciate the distinction he makes for me.
And that's that. Out half way through, I think doing the right thing.

Probably just as well, is my (pregnant) sister's 30th birthday tomorrow in a lovely Buckinghamshire real ale and Belgian beer pub. The last thing I needed was a late night; I am drinking for 2 tomorrow. Am still positive, am still playing ok, I just need a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment