Friday 7 May 2010

Ups and Downs (and side toolbars)

After losing my voice all week (much to the hilarity of some of my clients and colleagues, who, finally, after day 2, accepted that it was a genuine throat infection and wasn't big-silly-night-out-on-the-smash-related), I wasn't on top form tonight, so I decided to forego public poker at the Golden Nugget and have a quiet night at home with seafood, chilli and garlic pasta and a glass or 6 of white rioja.

Had the PKR WSOP (stage 1) quali bit between my teeth when I logged in but, before that was due to start, I got warmed up with a baby 12 man SNG.

I should have at least cashed and, without wishing to sound like an arse, probably should have won it - yet somehow bubbled. If I tell you J-6 suited was finally beaten, all in, by 7-3 off, it will give you an indication of how the last 30 mins went for me. The big swing hand was A-8 ahead with an A on the flop vs his K-Q (his all in called by me for a 3rd of my stack, with aforementioned top pair on the flop) which runner-runnered me. Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean...

...Then I got a teeeensy bit tilt-y, raising into the shortstack in the small blind with A-9, and calling his re-raise all in, only for him to show A-Q, which unsurprisingly, held up.

I have also, incidentally, decided that playing 2 tables at a time, even for a multi-task-enabled female, is not the way forwards; I am clearly a One Hand Woman. When the WSOP quali popped up, not only did I not get a good start in that as I was indecisive about playing hands like K-9 suited from late position, not having followed what had gone before etc, but, at the same time, I was slowly dying in the SNG; worst of both worlds - note to self; 'don't do that again'.

The quali went ok; finished 14th of 50. I won one big pot early with Ks which hit their set on the flop. Played it ok, especially as the left part of my brain was clinging on to the SNG at the time. Tripled up with A-8, later; the latter card completed a flush on the river (I was ahead pre flop when they went in, so shhh!) and the very next hand doubled up with 10s that held up v KQ (again all in pre-flop), which took me from 23rd to 8th.

I ended up raising with 5-5 from the button, called by the Dutch chipleader/nutter in the BB, who had a penchant for playing everything and making some loose plays and calls (as you can, with 40% of the chips in front of you) - but who could have just made a gentlemanly fold if the wind had been blowing in a different direction. Flop came 2,9,6 - I genuinely thought I was good, so shoved, called, he had A-9.
Another time.

Good experience overall tonight, I think; I am really looking forward to the 10k starting chips, 70 quid freezeout at The Golden Nugget tomorrow night; I am feeling good and confident and free to be aggressive at the moment, which I know my game is missing, particularly live.

I can feel some good underwear, hair straightening, perfume, heels, leg, lip gloss and, most importantly, some power poker coming on...

No comments:

Post a Comment