Wednesday 25 August 2010

Cash Calf

I am getting really rather in to this cash lark, I don't mind telling you.

I have really only played 'social' cash after a few beers, in the Vic or Empire with work colleagues before, but I've never taken it as seriously as I am realising I should have. Other than that, I've tended to shy away from cash games (save a couple in Vegas where it's kinda the law to play), as, if I bust out of a tournament, the last thing I normally want to do is go and chase any losses with the poor, tilty saps who have also gone out early doors. I am much more of a 'storm off, order a glass of chardonnay and sit in the corner and sulk' type.

That said, sitting comfortably in your nightie with your laptop propped on the sofa arm, music/football on in the background and playing deliberate, patient cash poker does have its merits, I have discovered - certainly financial ones.

Time does get away from you (it was 1.45am when I looked at the clock on my laptop last night and, other than piecing together the evening by working out when I finshed cooking and eating and the duration of the washing machine cycles, I could barely account for where the last 5 hours had gone... ). And I will admit I struggle, like most, I'm sure, to walk away at the optimum moment (you don't have to worry about making that decision, of course, in a tournament), but I have managed to double my account this week in 2 sittings which is most pleasing.

Last night was slightly more scenic than I'd have liked, having lost the profit I had built up earlier in the week with the most petulant call(s) with a pair of deuces on a paired board of Jacks. Of course he had the other Jack! Even if he had had the 10 (or the 7 or the 5), I was losing. What a muppet. But I hit some lovely hands and, without the stress of blinds going up and needing to get busy, it was really nice to just sit and see lots of hands and play the premium ones (and some of the less premium ones for a giggle and to try to outplay people - which, for a significant part, worked).

Might I be morphing into a grinder in front of my own eyes? This is a very interesting and unexpected development. I do like the 'comfort' of the beginning, middle and end of tournaments, and knowing what you're going to lose (or potentially win!) before you start; I crave structure, so can't see myself ditching them entirely. But this week has been most revelatory and has opended my eyes to a world which, while I was aware of its existence, has potentially massive untapped and unacknowledged potential.

Hmmmmmmmmm. Vic or Mint on Friday, possibly....

No comments:

Post a Comment